Project Type: Logo, Book Cover and BBQ photos
Challenge: Create a logo and book covers for a series of BBQ books for the Kindle, also take photos for the the books to show how the process is done.
Solution: I have known the client for a few years and he is the one that piqued my interest in BBQ and started me on my BBQing adventures (which you can read about here: q4fun.blogspot.com). When he approached me with the idea of creating a logo for his book series I was more than happy to help. It’s always a wonderful thing when ones passions can collide. The first book is available here: EZ-BBQ Championship Quality Ribs at Home
I did a few sketches for ideas but nothing was really working for me. I remembered another design I had done for myself a few months ago and thought the fork and flipper would work well for it so I started to play with that idea on the computer. I wanted it to have a definite BBQ feel with a bit of the western influence. Below are the two ideas I sent to the client. They liked the one on the right but wanted a different font.
I changed the font and showed it to them in black and what it would look like reversed out.
Ken liked this round much better but wanted to try a different font still. He let me know what the font was so I replaced the EZ-BBQ with it and we had a winner. Now it was time to move onto the book cover design.
I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for the book cover. Originally I thought it would be nice to feature the meat that it would be about on the cover but since this was a series I thought it would be better to have a single layout and image that we could change the title on without any trouble. I also wanted something that spoke to BBQ. Something rustic and worn looking, like a BBQ shack almost.
I had a picture of old weather beaten barn slats that would work well for the feel I wanted. As I talked with Ken he was onboard with it and wanted to see if we could make the lettering look branded or burned into the wood. I played with the layout in Photoshop and we settled on the design below.
Admittedly, this was the best part of the project. We got to cook the meat and while we went through the process I had the privilege of documenting it for the books. After it was all cooked we were able to taste the product of our handy work and it was good.
Here are a few of the photos I took for the book.